I made this delicious risotto during the asparagus season – along with sweet peas, fresh, aromatic mint, and large, juicy prawns. The soya yogurt gives it a tangy, light creaminess, with the taste of summer. You can leave it out if you don’t have any, but you can easily find soya yogurt in many supermarkets and health food shops now, and it makes all the difference.
gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, nut-free, seed-free, egg-free, citrus-free
preparation time 5 minutes cooking time 20-25 minutes serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g arborio or other risotto rice
- 300ml organic dry white wine
- 800ml hot gluten-, yeast- and dairy-free vegetable stock, or vegetable stock made from gluten-, yeast- and dairy-free stock powder
- 20 asparagus spears, woody ends removed and chopped into 5cm lengths
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- 300g cooked, peeled, large king prawns
- 1 handful chopped mint leaves
- 100g soya yogurt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2–3 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then lower the heat and stir in the rice until it is well coated in oil.
- Pour a little of the wine into the mixture and stir. Continue cooking over a low heat, gradually adding and stirring in the wine, until it has all been absorbed. Add a ladle of the hot stock and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding and stirring in the hot stock for 18–20 minutes until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, steam the asparagus stalks in a saucepan of boiling water or a steamer for 1-2 minutes, depending on the thickness of the stalks. Add the tips and the peas and continue to steam for another 2-3 minutes, until the asparagus is just tender but still slightly crunchy. Remove from the heat, drain and set to one side.
- Pour the yogurt into a mixing bowl and, using a whisk or hand-held electric blender, blend the yogurt until smooth.
- When the risotto mixture is almost cooked, season lightly with salt and pepper to taste and carefully stir in the prawns, asparagus and peas. Continue to cook for a further minute until the rice is soft but still has a slight bite and all the liquid has been absorbed. Sprinkle in the mint leaves, add the yogurt and stir gently. Serve immediately.