Recently I devised some recipes for Kallo, for their new range of organic soya milks (which are delicious!!) One of the recipes I created was a Raspberry and Almond Clafoutis. I adore clafoutis – it’s a a baked dessert in a custard-like batter, similar to pancake batter. Originally a French dish, it was traditionally made with cherries, but you can find many variations using summer/autumnal fruits such as plums and blueberries. It’s easy to make a good gluten-free and dairy-free batter, but it is important to use good soya milk. This recipe combines raspberries and almonds – a classic combination of tastes – with an extra kick of almond from the almond extract. Super-easy to prep and assemble – and thoroughly delicious!
gluten-free, wheat-free, yeas-free, seed-free, citrus-free
Preparation time 10 minutes Cooking time 35–45 minutes Serves 4
- dairy-free margarine, for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 150g/5½oz/scant 1 cup raw cane sugar or fruit sugar
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- 25g/1oz/scant ¼ cup rice flour
- 50g/1¾oz/scant ½ cup ground almonds
- 250ml/9fl oz/1 cup Kallo Original Soya Milk
- 550g/1lb 4 oz/4½ cups raspberries
- 40g/1½oz/heaped ½ cup flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a large (approximately 20 x 20cm) ovenproof dish with dairy-free margarine.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl with an electric whisk until thickened and creamy. Beat in the almond extract, then sift in the rice flour and add the ground almonds. With a metal spoon, carefully fold into the egg mixture. Gently stir in the soya milk.
- Put the raspberries on the bottom of the dish. Pour the batter over the top and scatter the flaked almonds over the top. Bake in the hot oven for 35–45 minutes, depending on the size of the dish, until risen and set, with a golden-brown crust formed on the top. Remove from the oven and serve.